Friday, January 25, 2013

What day is it??? You guessed it - the BEST day ever! CDW Workshop 2013!

Day 5. Last day with Khang Le, Victoria Ying, Mike Yamada, and Bryan Wynia as teachers. :( I found today to be even more satisfying then yesterday. Khang did an awesome mechanical character - I tried to copy with no success... Victoria and Mike corrected another painting together and discussed portfolios. They answered all of our questions on Portfolios and what would be needed, seriously, who better to ask then them? I also got an awesome critique from Victoria Ying. I have issues with cleaning up my sketches before I colour in that I feel something gets taken away from it, like it loses it's life... And I wondered if maybe I was just doing bad designs because that shouldn't happen. She told me that she often draws it again and the second time around usually gives her a better indication of shapes. This was my first drawing:
From being given that, I drew it again:
Excuse my notes. During the break, Victoria gave me feedback. She said that I wasn't really selective in the lines I was putting back in as I had lost some of the form. To see what lines I could take from my original sketch such as in the clothing, the seams in the sleeves etc or differentiating the shoulder from the back. I had also lost some weight in my drawing - like she looks weightless but her feet are off the ground... And the guy would be tilting back more. Also to fix the back leg. She also said to do life drawing such as movement where people are doing things like lifting things and I will see the tilt in their bodies, and where the movement comes from. So I drew it again but will continue to rework it. This is the 3rd drawing:
And here are another two sketches just mucking around:
Bryan had me laughing for the whole time in the last class. What a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment